[Its.an.education.project] lists.sugarlabs.org

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu May 8 04:23:05 CEST 2008

Seth Woodworth wrote:
> We're forking Sugar.  I get that.  But we need to consider what lists
> are currently at OLPC, and which we can improve, replace, or ignore.  I
> am far more interested in creating a vibrant active educational
> discussion list than replicating several of the lists at OLPC.

[see my other post for the fork part]

I think there's no rush (or need) to replace the lists hosted at
laptop.org.  Anyway, the only one that would make sense moving would
be sugar at lists.laptop.org.

It would be nice, however, to have the ability to create new lists
when we need them.  Traffic is really high here already and hopefully
it will improve over time.

> Content organization is a hard business.  And subsequently, not a lot of
> work has been finished at OLPC as it stands now.  To create division in
> these projects would be detrimental to educational goals overall.  And
> they would have little to no relation to the forking of free / non-free
> software.

It is not clear to me whether OLPC still wants to be in the business
of content creation, for these reasons:

1) Nicholas says that it makes no sense to pursue the perfect
   educational model;

2) Nicholas and other sources said that the only important thing
   for now is giving as many laptops as possible to as many kids
   as possible; and lastly,

3) OLPC is apparently partnering with a company that provides
   commercial content for schools!

Moreover, should contents be bound to a particular brand of laptops?

> I apologize if I am stepping out of bounds here.  But I'm still unsure
> about what 'an education project' is and isn't.

I'd like to think we do not have fixed bounds here ;-)

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/