[Its.an.education.project] CEO Kane

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:55:11 CEST 2008

Who has Charles Kane's e-mail address at OLPC? While we're at it, can
we put together the contact information for the Board of Directors and
the Advisors? I have made a start. I don't want to include all of
their e-mail addresses in our public messages, so we would need to
decide on a somewhat private (list members only) place to share the
information.

http://www.olpcnews.com/people/leadership/olpc_new_president_laptop_project.html
According to Technology Review, Charles is very clear: it's a laptop project.

    "The OLPC mission is a great endeavor, but the mission is to get
the technology in the hands of as many children as possible," he said.
"Whether that technology is from one operating system or another, one
piece of hardware or another, or supplied or supported by one
consulting company or another doesn't matter."

    "It's about getting it into kids' hands," he continued. "Anything
that is contrary to that objective, and limits that objective, is
against what the program stands for."

"When I went to Egypt for the first time, I met separately with the
minister of communications, minister of education, minister of science
and technology, and the prime minister, and each one of them, within
the first three sentences, said, 'Can you run Windows?'" Negroponte
says.

One future possibility is a "dual-boot" version of the OLPC machine,
in which either Windows or Linux can be launched at start-up. If such
a scheme were to materialize, Negroponte says, "I expect we will do a
massive rollout in Egypt."
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/