[IAEP] introduction - hi I'm Donna

Joel Stanley joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Dec 10 23:58:19 EST 2008

2008/12/11 David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>:
> Your reputation as an organizer precedes you:)  I would invite you to consider:
> Helping us figure out exactly what Local Labs are.
> Establish Sugar Labs - Australia to support local deployments and feed
> best practices back upstream.
> Encourage and support local deployments.

Hello All,

I've been speaking with Bill Kerr and Bernie about establishing an AU
local lab for a few weeks now[0].  More recently I've been talking to
Pia, who is setting up the http://olpcfriends.org community, and
Rangan, who is the Executive Director[1] of OLPC-AU, and among other
things is running a "G1G1" for Australians.

We've got lots of interest in Sugar, and a number of people who are
setting up their own groups to work on it (weather that is Sugar
directly, or under the name of various OLPC groups).  Working out
where a local lab fits into all of the above is something I've been
spending some time thinking about recently.

My current thought is perhaps Sugar Labs is a common banner to group
contributors under, as a place for meeting, sharing and discussing
online.  They can then take that with them as they go out to trials,
deployments, and other groups.

Do you have any thoughts?

Joel

[0] offlist.  This thread is a good reminder (to me) of why it's good
to have discussions onlist
[1] I think he should be the executive officer, so we can call him the XO :)