[Gsoc] [GSOC ] apply for Project Sharing Website

Rahul Gaur rahul.nbg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 09:04:11 EDT 2013

Hello everyone !

By way of introduction I am Rahul Gaur Third Year Computer Science
undergraduate from Delhi/NCR,India. I have been coding in Python since my
first year and I have been Part of GSOC 2011 under GNU Project, following
that I have some amount of experience with Embedded Linux and C programing.
I am looking for some web development projects to work on during the summer
so I could learn more about web services.

I have started web development with Django somewhere around six months back
and I am familiar with pretty much of the basics.You may check my GitHub
link below to see some of my work , they are mostly just proof of concepts
or toy projects.

I have been working on couple of  Web Projects for my College :

[1] . Resultworks - Online WebApp that facilitates the management of
the Student Grades and rendering them when queried.(written in
django/python)
[2] .Internal social networking platform for the college - This Project is
also in python, here I am building a platform which will provide the
students with the ability to share and highlight the college problems and
get attention from the management.It has basic Social Networking features
like user follower/friendship messages and etcs .(it's not open source yet
) (Django/python/pinax)
[3] . Frontend web development with HMTL5/CSS3/JavaScript - College
Cultural Society  event site.

I have recently started learning JavaScript , but I am willing to put in
more effort on my learning emphasis (as JS is part of College Curriculum )
and I hope to be in a better state by the summer.So being able to work on
some real project would be really helpful for me.

Firstly I would like to state that I love helping kids get started with
programing and FOSS technologies and here at SugarLab being able to be a
part of team that provides new and interesting learning opportunity for
kids would be  a great amount of deal for me .. :)

That being said , I found the Following project on the ideas page
very beneficial for my personal skills as a student/web dev and also of
significant importance to the Sugar Labs community.
Project sharing website
Ability to engage and connect with friends and classmates using various
Social Networking sites/techniques.
Ability to post projects from various Sugar Activities (ex: Turtle Blocks,
Etoys, Memorize, Physics, etc.)
Separate landing pages for different audiences (kids, teachers, parents,
etc.)
Section to share kid created art from projects
Ability for users to create galleries (of their own projects, favorite
projects, subject specific topics, etc.)
Ability to have “private classroom spaces”
Tools to support community management of the site
Multi-language support

I would discuss more about this project , specifically on the choices of
Frameworks , design and layout etcs.Some of the features seems like they
are going to offer new learning curve and seems challenging : ) .

I am pretty much comfortable with python/django and if it's okay
with community , I could proceed with that or if there is better
alternative to do things in a more efficient way we could discuss more
about that.

 Looking forward  to your reply !

Kind Regards,
Rahul