[math4] Activity: adding/subtracting whole numbers

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Aug 28 11:21:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM, John Posner<jjposner at optimum.net> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, John Posner<jjposner at optimum.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi --
>>>
>>> I've just Sugarized my "BlockHead" application, which enables kids to
>>> add/subtract multiple-digit numbers by dragging Cuisenaire-like blocks.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> I've been wishing for that. Do you know how to do multiplication,
>> division, fractions, and concepts of algebra such as commutativity in
>> Cuisenaire rods?
>>

> Thanks for the support, Edward. I'm tempted to answer "yes", but then
> I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. I'd be very happy to
> continue this discussion off-list. Feel free to contact me at
> jjposner at optimum.net.

John,

Would you mind continuing the discussion on list.  This is exactly the
type of instance where one person builds on another persons idea to
make something great:)

In case you were worried this thread is head in a very usefully
direction.  The ideas that you and Ed come up with might be the basis
for someone's work next semester.

david