[Dextrose] Sugar updater.

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 15 08:07:39 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 01:39:00PM -0600, David Farning wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> As part of you long term update project would you please start working
> on a yum based update system for deployments.  Standard system
> updating is a solved problem on Linux.

Well, it is not only for updating issue (this system might be useful for
centralized deployments only as a central place for keeping information
about all sugar projects and as a build farm, in both cases it will be useless
for dextrose since it has chosen another way) but more about doers'
environment [1] which also based on regular (ie ditro) instruments
like yum/apt :)

> While there might be value to
> a fully functioning atomic updater.  A working yum based updater is
> more valuable to deployments.

> Based on conversations with deployment service and support personal I
> would suggest.
> 1. No user interaction required -- A cron based base yum updater which
> runs every two weeks should be fine.
> 2. Final mile rpm distribution can depend on the Squid caching at the
> school server level.
> 3. We will need to be careful at the deployment level.  Every school
> server hitting the deployment server at the same time could be
> problematic due to bandwidth constraints.
> 4.  One of the important lessons we can learn from RHEL is providing
> stock dextrose in a known location with good release note.  Then
> deployments can either use the stock dextrose repos or cherry pick
> patches and create their own update repos.  It is pretty common to
> deploy updates on test systems before updating everything system wide.
> 5. The build process already creates the necessary RPMS at
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/dxo2/rpms/i386/os/ . As
> several people have pointed out, we are going to have to work together
> to settle on a sensible release naming system.

If I got it right, it is all about fetching updates on dextrose user
side? i.e., coding non-visual and visual components for sugar shell?

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Alsroot/Sugar_Architecture#Doer.27s_environment

--
Aleksey