[Sugar-devel] Sugar-Server enhancement

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Mon Apr 18 08:08:51 EDT 2016

replies inline

> On April 18, 2016 at 5:24 AM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>

> Tony, when you hold down those four game keys you are installing
> software from OLPC.  Assuming you haven't set up your own firmware
> keys and signed your own images.

It's not that hard, installing the keys is the harder part, but I wouldn't
go as far as using the anti-thief protocol.

> When you refer to "Build 85" or "13.2.5", that is OLPC OS.  It was
> built by OLPC by combining Fedora, Sugar, and Gnome.  While we used
> Sugar, we also added other packages, some of which are specific to
> OLPC.
>
> ds-backup is not part of Sugar now, and has not been since the split
> that created Sugar Labs.  ds-backup only works with Sugar, XS, or
> XSCE.  A tiny part of Sugar sets configuration for ds-backup.
>
> Sugar Labs is independent of OLPC or XSCE, and should work to vision.

The XSCE project was started to support XOs initially but has grown to more
of a content delivery system with XOs playing less of role in the big
picture but are supported.

> [...]
> > Hi, Dave
> >
> > It is absurd for reasons I have specified the first time James made
> > this statement. The two scripts are in /usr/bin. They are invoked by
> > the installed Sugar image.
>
> No.  They are invoked by the installed OLPC OS image via systemd.
> Sugar does not invoke them.
>
> > The scripts are enabled by /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe
> > The status is specified in /home/olpc/.sugar/defaults. I have in front
> > of me
> > an XO-1 with Build 85 (Sugar 0.82.1). If has the two scripts in
> > /usr/bin.
> >
> > This version used a file config in /home/olpc/.sugar/default
> > (pre-dating gconf,
> > let alone gsetting). This file contains:
> >
> > [Server]
> > backup1 = [1]SHC84201B0A at schoolserver.linuxtag:backup .
>
> While true, now not relevant.
>
> > The real problem is not the absurdity of claiming that ds_backup is
> > not part of Sugar but that the statement attempts to close community
> > discussion.
>
> How is it that I can close community discussion?  While I am a mailing
> list administrator, I have not ejected you for your misinformation.
> You are free to continue with your beliefs, but I will challenge them
> where they are based on falsehood.
>
> > I grant it may not be a capability important to James, but it is to
> > me.
>
> It is an important capability for OLPC OS.  But not for Sugar, since
> Sugar is independent of OLPC and XSCE.
>
> Perhaps it should be removed from Sugar and added back by OLPC and
> XSCE as a plugin of some sort.
>
> > I have great respect for James Cameron's technical capabilities. I
> > can also understand if he does not feel that this feature scratches
> > his itch (or serves the needs of his employer). However, this does
> > not entitle him to impose his judgment on the community.
>
> How is it that I have imposed my judgement?  How have I prevented
> anything?
>
> > Tony
> >
> > On 04/18/2016 08:54 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Tony
> >
> >     On 14 April 2016 at 04:43, Tony Anderson <[2]tony_anderson at usa.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >         However this is the second time he has claimed that the backup
> > does not
> >         have anything to do with Sugar. An absurd position.
> >
> >     Perhaps, but as a fellow newbie, it is not obvious to me why this
> > position
> >     is absurd. Since it seems important for people to understand,
> > perhaps you
> >     could explain it on the wiki or developer documentation somewhere?
> > :)
> >

> >         James is excellent technically, but very new to the
> >         community and with limited understanding of the history or
> >         field use of the systems.
>
> [shakes head sadly]
>
> Dave, I'm certainly not new.  I've been with OLPC as a volunteer from

Volunteer from 2008, contractor for OLPC-AU 2010-2013.

> >     That's also my impression
> >

> >         He probably is not aware that OLPC before the Sugar splinter
> > proposed
> >         to actually build a hardware school server.
>
> I was certainly aware and was involved in testing.  I still have one
> of those nice active antennas.

I've have 2, I wrote the udev rules for those active antennas at the time.
Too bad the carrot of a job didn't materialize as alluded to.

> >     Since I was very marginally involved in the OLPC community in
> >     2007 I do remember this, and I see the
> >     https://github.com/XSCE/xsce codebase is very actively recently
> >     :)
> >
> >     --
> >     Cheers
> >     Dave
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:59:24AM +0800, Tony Anderson wrote:
<snip>

> >, adding capabilities that I believe are needed by deployments. This
> > same process applies to xsce (currently xsce6) as well.

Tony, I hope your fork of the XSCE project serves you well, I trust any
improvements made are shared back with upstream.

Lets end this thread, please

Jerry