[Sugar-devel] Sugar Paint Project

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Jul 15 08:35:07 EDT 2015

Hi Sneha,
I have tried your activity, a few comments below:
Please subscribe to sugar-devel mailing list (
https://lists.sugarlabs.org/listinfo/sugar-devel)
and reply to all, not just me. There are other people with more experience
than me
on this specific area, like  Puneet, that gently offered help.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Sneha Mohanty <sm21483 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gonzalo,
>
> Hope you are doing well.
>
> I have attempted to integrate the activity using the Sugar toolbar, like
> you had suggested (Please install the xo file attached with this mail onto
> Sugar OS ) , however i have doubts such as -

The XO starts ok, and works.

> 1) Where do i link the functionality between my app and the Sugar OS, for
> example, how do i give the *different functionalities* to the *svg icons*
> such as start-activity, stop-activity , etc ?? and how do i link that to
> the Sugar OS ?? Could you give me a hint ?

First of all, you need add a Stop button to close your activity. Second,
you need use the right widget for your activity icon,
that will be painted with the user colors and then you know that
communication with the sugar os is working.
You can download Develop activity (
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4058)
create a "Hello world" web activity, and see the code used.

Also look at the activity in development by Michael. He achieved a better
integration of the tools
in the toolbar, and the activity looks more like a Sugar activity.

> 2) I have generated the xo file by using  " python setup.py install "
> instead of "python setup.py dist_xo " after going through the steps in
> this page -
>
> http://developer.sugarlabs.org/activity.md.html
>
> I DON'T KNOW if that is  the right way to do it.
>
> I used python setup.py install and not python setup.py dist_xo because the "po" directory was missing in my activity and i
>
> didn't know how to generate that.
>

> python setup.py dist_xo is the way to generate a .xo file, even if a po
directory does not exist.

Try to talk with Puneet and Michael, and work together,
is better have one good Paint activity, than two half good activities,
and work with others is the key on open source projects :)

Gonzalo