[Sugar-devel] Happy / Sad laptop system load monitor

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Fri May 23 23:06:43 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 11:28 -0700, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> Concky looks great, but I thought we could only embed Python code in the
> frame.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that.

> If a rewrite in Python is required, then we could as well start from
> Tincho's original work and improve it. While the happy/sad laptop might
> be an over-simplification, opening the palette did reveal real memory
> and cpu usage data:
>
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Dextrose_resource_monitoring.png
>
> The lag observed by Iain in updating the data also bothered me. The
> stats were being updated every 5 seconds because a reviewer was
> concerned about increasing idle power usage. I'd be in favor of
> increasing the update frequency and maybe skip the UI updates when the
> frame is hidden. The same optimization would benefit all the existing
> frame indicators and background updates to the Network view, which take
> a ton of CPU time.

Perhaps I was being over-hard, but of course one is only really
interested in the monitors, when not sure if resources are sufficient!

I have had a go with conky on osbuild - it is not working quite
correctly. (I may have some options contrary in the mix between top
level and transparency.)

However I can share a screen-shot [1] and the ~/.conkyrc [2] I used.

        yum install conky
        conky -c .conkyrc from Terminal Activity

Regards,
Iain

[1] http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-240514-031742.php
[2] http://ur1.ca/hdbh8