[Sugar-devel] honoring max_participants

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:52:37 EDT 2014

I have been working on having the collaboration system honor the
maximum number of participants in a shared activity. I have a patch to
meshbox that will show/hide the Join button if the maximum number of
participants has not/has been reached, thus preventing someone from
joining an activity that is oversubscribed, but enabling them to join
if someone leaves. (Right now, we put no limit, even though the
activity specifies a limit.)

The issue I am struggling with is that the specification of
max_participants is set in the activity instance, which means that it
is not accessible directly from the activity bundle. So I am proposing
we add max_participants to activity.info. We can set max_participants
from that value. This need not break existing activities and the
default can still be 1, AKA, no sharing. But if an activity does
specify max_participants in activity.info, then we can enforce the
limit.

Comments/alternative suggestions?

regards.

-walter