[Sugar-devel] Web server vs activities protocol (Re: Adding compatibility in webactivity to webkit1)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:07:06 EST 2013

On 4 December 2013 19:50, Rogelio Mita <rogeliomita at activitycentral.com>wrote

> over the course of thread I read that was a decision to avoid using web
> server, please, can you guys deepen this decision more in detail?

I don't think it was ever properly evaluated. We had a very early
discussion about it, I don't remember the details, but I'm not sure it's
even relevant these days, it was a very general discussion before any of
the stuff we have today was implemented.

The custom protocol saves a bit of code and memory. It's the same solution
Firefox OS is using. It probably gives you a bit more freedom to tweak
stuff like security rules. It has been tested more than the web server
approach.

A proper evaluation would be useful but I suspect that's all what we know
at the moment.