[Sugar-devel] Performace in os3

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:11:01 EDT 2012

Hi Manuel,

On 27 Sep 2012, at 15:40, Manuel Kaufmann <humitos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on my 1.75 XO with os3 and I feel it really slow. There
> are some examples:

Yes, does feel a little slower here generally (especially any Activities ported to Cairo just now). Performance work/polish where time permits is need.

> - Hover in Favourite and List view
>
> 1. Hover in Favourite view
> 2. Move the mouse directly to List view and hover it
> 3. It shows the palette after the timeout but the palette square
> appears first and then the text
>
> (test this many times because sometimes does not happen)

Can't trigger this one just yet (I will key an eye out for it).

> - Show and Hide the frame
>
> 1. Go to the edge of the screen
> 2. The frame appears
> 3. Go again to the edge of the screen (to make the frame hides) --
> comment: this works different than before, it was no needed to go
> again to the edge of the screen to make it disappears.

Yes this is a feature change, landed by Simon at least a build or two ago. I can dig up the discussion thread for you if you need but it's about interaction with multiple ways to open the Frame, the old behaviour you had to use either _just_ the keyboard frame button, or _just_ the mouse in the corner. Now that it is a toggle you can raise the Frame with the keyboard and then use the mouse cursor to hide it when you are done. Also helps the situation for folks with jumpy mouse trackpads or poor motor control as you do not have to keep the cursor inside the frame area while you try to click on something. This also is needed so that current Frame interaction methods (keyboard and corners) will work well with the new touch Frame interactions (touch swipe gestures, and a top left corner hot spot touch/click for raising & hiding the Frame).

> 4. The frame disappears but it leaves the same frame (width and hight)
> in gray color for a while

Yes, there is a SL ticket open about this, pretty sure there is some regression work to fix after the gtk3 port effort.

> Besides, I noticed that when you hover on Home Icons they are no
> longer highlighted as it was gtk2 version of Sugar. Is this a desired
> behaviour?

Yes, it's GTK3 theme related I think, Manuq was going to take a look.

FWIW: I'm using an XO-1.75 for all my end of the maliit OSK and touch selection handle work, and the speed of interaction with these has not been causing problems me. It's more the graphic redraw and blanking glitches (as things pop up and close again) that has a negative impact on user experience. I'm sure enabling compositing in the WM would help perceived performance, but at the cost of memory usage (less Activities open at once, perhaps more memory related issues), and actual performance.

Regards,
--Gary