[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Chage in filter in home view

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:17:30 EDT 2012

Hi Gonzalo,

On 26 Sep 2012, at 19:31, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Can you describe how it is annoying, what were you trying to do with search, was it a complicated search string you needed to preserve, or a result state you particularly wanted to keep? UI freeze is not for another couple of weeks, reports/feedback on feature chenges is most wanted! :)
>

> I am working with any activity, then, use the filter to found it in the home, in the favorites or in the list,
> start the activity, and when close the activity, the search is cleaned.
> If I want use the same activity again, need enter the filter again.
> I have not switched views. The filter should be preserved.
> In fact, the filter should be preserved, but not shared, for every view.
> Example:
> I can filter the Read activity, go to neighbour view, the filter is empty, search for a access point "My School", go back to the home, and the filter should keep the activity Read filtered.

So yes, just to confirm this would be a request to revert back to the original behaviour (option 2). Have you not seen any cases where users switch back from some other task and are confused by a previous filter they had forgotten about or not realised they had triggered? I've certainly seen that at least a few times now with novice Sugar users (young adults ~20-25, technically competent, university educated, experimenting with Sugar in a group situation). Usually I have to lean over and clear the search for them, from then on they seem to be OK and manually clear searches themselves.

Any other alternative behaviours?

Here's one possible enhancement: What if the search entry has a history drop down of the last N searches queries. The UI down side, is that it would eat a chunk of the top left canvas while you were entering a search, that might well have your result in it (Neighbourhood, Group, Home favourite layouts).

Regards,
--Gary