[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Contact sheet for all sugar-artwork icons

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:43:53 EDT 2011

Hi Gonzalo,

On 21 Mar 2011, at 16:31, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

>>>  A comment and a question about the icons: The loupe (6 along, 5 down) looks bigger than the other icons (in WIkibrowse is very visible).
>>>
>> I'm pretty sure this icon was never intended in the usual toolbar button placement, it is the system-search visual that appears inside search input fields so needs to be as large and clear as possible given its intended placement size. I'd flag WIkibrowse's use of it in the toolbar as incorrect. It's been a while since I downloaded the Wikipedia activity (due to it's very large size), could you post a screen shot or two (or upload them to the http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4401 page so there are some thumbnails for users to see)?
>
> I have attached a image with the toolbar of wikipedia. May be I must use another icon?

Could you show a screen shot with the secondary toolbar open? Is it just a search input field under there? This browses a local version of wikipedia, yes? If so I'd be rather tempted to remove the primary location field and reload widget, and put the search field up in all that primary space...

If you want to stay with the current design, it would be a quick svg tweak to make a correctly sized custom version of the system-search icon for you to include in your bundle, ping me by email if that's what you want.

>>> The question: The arrows up and down with the media icon inside, are supposed to be used to transfer media or to save/load from journal? I think are better to transfer, but i saw these used to save to/load from the journal
>>>
>> You mean the ones starting at 11 along, 5 down? These are used for the 'send to friend -->' Journal feature for  transferring Journal objects between friends:
>>
>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Send-to.png
>>
>> The icons appear in the top frame and provide a palette that provides the user control and transfer information:
>>
>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Activitiestray_transfer_to_icon.png
>>
>> Can you remember where you saw them being used to save to/load from the Journal?
>
> Yes, in TurtleArt.

Oh yes, Walter's snuck some very similar ones into Turtle Blocks (they only appear in monochrome). I don't wholly object, we've been on quite a meandering path trying to find suitable import/export to Journal icons (badging the keep icon can get too fussy especially if you need to show direction for differencing input and export). Though it would be nice if Walter could standardise on naming them import/export rather than a mix of old school Save as, Load, and one Import. ;-)

Regards,
--Gary