[Sugar-devel] Recording time spent on an activity ?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Aug 26 04:12:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:05:24AM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> There is a frequent request (at least from our tiny 150-XO deployment in
> Madagascar) to be able to assess the time spent on an activity.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not currently possible.

I know of no code in Sugar with that aim in mind.

> Is this a request other people met?

I've not heard the request before.

> Would it be reasonable to add it to the features of the Journal?

I would not object, if the implementation actually measured interaction
rather than simply time spent with activity open.  Time spent open is
almost useless, and may cause patterns of behaviour that are unwelcome.

gfocustimer is a project that I still use ... it allocates time for
client charging depending on the window in use on a multi-window system.
In my case, the window being frontmost was the critical thing.  The X
server is queried directly.  Since Sugar controls the currently visible
window, your request could be implemented there with no requirement for
interaction with a window manager.

workrave contains code that detects interaction.  That may be of use as
well.

I don't know of a standard method for defining interaction, but
keystrokes, touchpad moves, or button presses per minute may be useful.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/