[Sugar-devel] Feature Freeze exception request: spiral extension to Home View feature

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 07:51:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 03:28 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>> I am requesting an exception to Feature Freeze. I just completed what
>> I hope to be the final clean up of the spiral extension to the Home
>> View.
>>
>> The ticket is here:
>> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2143
>>
>> The patch is here:
>>
>> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2143/0001-adding-spiral-extension-to-Ring-View.patch
>>
>> The feature request is here:
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View
>>
>> The discussion thread with the design team is here:
>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-August/025953.html
>>
>> Thank you for your consideration.
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter
>
> Hi Walter,
>
> thanks for working on this great enhancement!
>
> A general comment: I know you have been working on this for a while and did
> several rounds of reviews. It is better to propose the Feature itself for
> the release as early as possible. As the Acceptance of the Feature itself
> has nothing to do with the actual code we can decide upfront if the Feature
> is suitable for the release [1]. (Merging of the Feature code is in
> agreement with the module maintainer following the Sugar coding guidelines
> and the review process [2]).

I guess I am still a bit confused by the process. I assumed that the
act of creating a feature page was essentially the act of proposing a
feature. As to when to propose it for acceptance, it would be after
the initial review iterations with the design team and development
team. I'll look more closely at the instructions in the wiki.

> The Feature does meet all the criteria listed in [1] and the Feature page
> does present the Feature well, too. Please don't forget to change the
> category when you want to propose the Feature for inclusion (Once the
> feature owner believes that the feature is ready for presentation to the
> Release Manager for acceptance move your feature from Category:Feature Page
> Incomplete to Category:Feature Ready for Release Manager. The Release
> Manager will then do the sanity check [3]).

Sorry. I missed that detail. Will do.

thanks.

-walter

--