[Sugar-devel] Enabling logging by default

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:13:18 EDT 2010

On 18 Aug 2010, at 20:36, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> El Wed, 18-08-2010 a las 15:19 -0400, Luke Faraone escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking at Sugar on Ubuntu, and we were considering enabling
>> logging (in ~/.sugar/debug) by default. Is there any reason not to do
>> this, when targeting machines that aren't resource constrained like the XO?
>>
>> Would it be sensible to have it enabled as a default upstream in Sugar?
>
> Logging *is* enabled by default, not just at the most noisy level.
> Personally, I rarely change the values in ~/.sugar/debug because I find
> the extra messages a useless distraction. All errors are being logged
> anyway.

FWIW +1, I now very rarely change the values. In the few occasions I have enabled them to hunt something specific down I've been swamped, and given up, though I admit in these cases it's often been collaboration bugs I've been trying to look for, unfortunately with little success.

As far as resolving bugs, it's 95% about reproducibility, if you can't reliably trigger an issue a few times in a row of testing, it is very unlikely you can report it in a way that will lead to a fix (though a smattering of clustered reports can at least lead to some attention on a general area).

--Gary