[Sugar-devel] depending on introspection

Marco Pesenti Gritti marco at marcopg.org
Wed Aug 18 05:48:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Also, note that sticking to the current dependencies won't allow us to
> keep jhbuild lean because we'd have to build old stuff for distros
> such as Fedora.

I think Sascha is right that a jhbuild which supports a GNOME 3.0
based Sugar on old distributions would be unmaintainable. It will be a
lot of effort and it will break most of the time anyway. We need to
move in the opposite direction (i.e. getting rid of jhbuild completely
as soon as possible).

But to me that means we need to move on and let distributions keep up.
If Debian doesn't support a modern stack developers will either deal
with the problem themself (by building stuff from source, custom
packages etc) or use a different distribution. We just can't do
anything about it and it should not be our focus anyway.

Something to consider is a general API break while we are moving to
introspection and gtk 3.0, which might need a longer development
cycle, in parallel with bare maintenance of the stable stack. A
slightly longer transition period should help everyone and breaking
(err fixing) as much as we can at the same time will make sure we are
able to support the new API for a longer time.

Marco