[Sugar-devel] Killing activities when memory gets short

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 8 09:33:19 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 15:15, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> I tihnk I have been sloppy with my words, so let me clarify two things:
>>
>> - killing processes should be done only to avoid OOM (because
>> currently the kernel kills the wrong thing most of the time).
>
> Can't we just _close it nicely_?

When you are about to get into OOM? Don't think so because it's very
probable that the kernel will block or kill something randomly before
the activity or the user react. But as I said, before we reach this
point we should have given the activities and/or the user the option
to avoid this situation.

Regards,

Tomeu