[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Design] Revisiting Journal view

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:06:05 EDT 2010

I've taken the liberty to move this thread to a non-private mailing list...

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Re: [support-gang] 10 things you should know about Sugar
------------------------

From: *Martin Dengler* <martin at martindengler.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:30 AM
To: "Community Support Volunteers -- who help respond to help AT laptop.org"
<support-gang at lists.laptop.org>

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:56:00AM -0400, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> one of the things I started compiling during the olpc realness summit
> back in May was a list of "10 things you should know about Sugar". This
> is meant to help decide which aspects of Sugar to introduce first-time
> users, regardless of whether they're children or adults.
[...]
> (4) The four different Views, possibly combined with how to connect to a
> network

Not sure what your four views are; according to the HIG, the fourth
"view" is the activity view ("Zoom metaphor"[1]).  I think the
Journal[2] is a further "Zoom level" and argue for this in tickets
dlo.6251[3] and slo.1518[4].

Please add comments to these bugs if anyone feels strongly about this:

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1518
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6251

Martin

1.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/Zoom_Metaphor
2.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/The_Journal
says " The Journal's primary function [is to be] a time-based view of
a child's activities [...]"
3. http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6251
4. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1518