[Sugar-devel] Datastore index corruption!

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 16:04:32 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 07:19 +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
>> > Meanwhile, we're working on a work-around that will hopefully fix all
>> > problems of this sort: a "Rescan" or "Reindex" item on the Journal
>> > palette.
>>
>> Unsurprisingly, a massive -1 from me, but you knew that was coming already! ;)
>
> This was quite expected, but I was also hoping to get alternative
> suggestions.

There are much smarter ways to tackle this. Make the index rebuild
automatic on Sugar startup, with some kind of spinner indicating we're
working on something, conditional on

 - look at the newest file in ~/.sugar/default/datastore, compare
mtime with the index files

 - read & parse /usr/bin/last output -- a boot without a prior
shutdown or reboot entry indicates a hard shutdown

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions