[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] not uninstall when a .xo bundle is deleted from the journal (was Re: Journal and Updating Software Process)

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 2 02:05:48 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

On 2 Aug 2010, at 05:05, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> On 1 August 2010 08:20, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> long time ago we decided that when an activity bundle was removed from
>> the journal, it should also be uninstalled.
>>
>> There's a report from Uruguay about teachers not expecting this and
>> considering it a bug.
>
> Regardless of user experience it is a bug because it forces you to
> have the .xo zip file in your journal as well as uncompressed on the
> disk.

It is a design mistake rather than bug (regression?), but yes having to hold onto a downloaded .xo to keep the activity installed is pretty critical mistake, especially when we have a few ported monster activities kicking around out there that were never designed to be used on such resource limited devices.

>> What are people's opinions on requiring two separate steps to delete
>> an activity bundle from the journal and uninstalling it?
>
> I think this separation makes sense within the current design (the
> journal has the downloaded file and the history, but the activity is a
> separate entity on the disk which does not necessarily appear in the
> journal), is currently the less confusing option, and solves the disk
> space bug. So I think we should apply the simple fix for now,
> remaining open to new implementations for activity management as and
> when they appear.

+1, given our current resources, I can't imaging making the major progress that's needed here, in the short term at least.

Regards,
--Gary