[sugar] Programming environments on the XO

Martin Edmund Sevior martines
Thu Jul 31 07:37:43 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Eben Eliason [mailto:eben.eliason at gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 7/31/2008 2:29 AM
To: Tomeu Vizoso
Subject: Re: [sugar] Programming environments on the XO

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Martin Sevior <martines at unimelb.edu.au>
> wrote:
> >> >

> >> OK Guys, I get the message :-) I'll look to see how this can be enabled
> >> by default in the most UI-easy way possible.
> >

> > OK Guys,
> >        Your wish is my command.
> >
> > See:
> >
> > http://msevior.livejournal.com/2008/07/29/
>
> Awesome, anybody would like to expose this functionality in Write?
> Should be quite easy, but may involve adding API to abiwidget.

The original mockups for Write have been waiting for this moment to arrive.
For the reference of any who dare to take on the task (The button being
clicked is a "Highlight text by author" button):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Activity_write_view.jpg

Thanks Tomeu and Eben. Yes, we'll need to expand the abiwidget api. I'll look to do this if I can can get sugar-jhbuild to work again.

BTW for those who recommend we abandon sugar-jhbuild, I definitely disagree. You definitely always want the fastest machine you can get for development work and for all it's problems, sugar-jhbuild gives the best way to get an up to the second snapshot of the development trees everywhere.

Of course activities require regular testing on the xo hardware, which is now much more available. After I tried out Write on a B2 back in 2007 I realised that many speedups and optimizations were needed to get decent performance.

Martin Sevior