[sugar] Congratulations! but Sugar sucks

Bert Freudenberg bert
Fri Jul 25 09:52:22 EDT 2008

Am 24.07.2008 um 17:53 schrieb Benjamin M. Schwartz:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> | Am 24.07.2008 um 14:25 schrieb Benjamin M. Schwartz:
> |
> |> 1. The datastore
> |> 2. OS Updates
> |> 3. File Sharing
> |> 4. Activity Modification
> |> 5. Bitfrost
> |> 6. Power management
> |
> | Note that half of these items have nothing to do with Sugar, oo the
> | subject line is a bit misleading.
>
> Every one of them requires work on the Linux-based software stack that
> runs on the XO.  The name of that stack is Sugar, as far as I'm aware.
> Perhaps a breakdown would be helpful:
>
> 1. The datastore:  Glucose
> 2. OS Updates:  Ribose.  (Ribose is all the low-level software that
> keeps
> Sugar running on the XO)
> 3. File Sharing:  Glucose
> 4. Activity Modification:  Glucose and Fructose.
> 5. Bitfrost:  Glucose and Ribose.
> 6. Power management:  Glucose, Ribose, and EC.

I don't think that taxonomy actually has caught on. Commonly, only the
"fructose" and "glucose" layers are referred to as "Sugar" (as for
example discussed on the Sugar list) - basically, the UI and parts it
directly depends on (datastore, presence). This is the stuff most
directly impacting the learning experience, whereas bitfrost, power
management, and OS updates are both of more general use (e.g., I'd
love to see bitfrost-like security in my desktop, too) and not
directly visible to the learner.

- Bert -