[sugar] Remarks on the Work of Sugar

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Wed Jul 23 00:35:26 EDT 2008

Been bothered by the seeming approach found too often in Sugar --
"To set things 'right', re-start Sugar."   {like with windows!}

This can be useful.  [For instance, erase a subdirectory from
/home/olpc/Activities, and restart Sugar.  That Activity will be
gone from the activity-registry.]

But it can be an obstacle.  Lately I've been running ported Linux
applications which are up for more than 10 hours.  Every time I need
to restart Sugar, I have to checkpoint the application beforehand,
then re-launch that application afterwards.

mikus

--------

Because I do not have wireless at home, I'm particularly susceptible
each time my OLPC communications function decides to "look for that
school server (via radio)".  I do not want to strip Network Manager,
because I also carry my XO to other places where there *is*
wireless.  [And I do want mesh, so I can collaborate with another
XO.]  I have so far not found a reliable way to keep Sugar up but
manually re-start my wired connection -- so more frequently than I
like I find myself having to re-start Sugar (doing so *does*
reliably reconnect my wired ethernet).

I've even experimented with a second-user session (alt-ctl-F4) on my
XO.  [The idea is to run long-duration jobs from that second user,
leaving user 'olpc' free to restart his session's Sugar.]  But the
current implementation on the OLPC does not cleanly "keep apart"
having two Sugar sessions simultaneously.