[sugar] SMS messaging

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes
Tue Jul 22 05:08:52 EDT 2008

Le jeudi 17 juillet 2008 ? 15:44 -0400, Ankur Verma a ?crit :
> Hello,

?Hi Ankur,

> I am able to receive SMS text messages through a mobile phone intended
> to be attached to school server. I need to forward this message to a
> specific XO connected on the jabber server. At this moment, I have the
> message in the format XO_name:SMS_Message. My plan is:
>
> 1. Get information (Unfriendly Jabber ID? or Nick?) about all the XOs
> connected.

?As I said last time we discussed this on IRC, that depends what is your
application exactly:

A) If that's an external application, then you have to connect to the
jabber server as any client/XO. You'll be able to see all the connected
XO's that are in your jabber roster. Currently we are using an ugly hack
called "shared roster" meaning you'll see all the connected XO's but we
plan to drop it soon.
A solution could be to use Gadget [1] but we currently don't have API to
search for buddies based on their alias (that's probably something
useful to have so we could consider to add one).
Another solution would be for each buddies to subscribe to your
application (as a Friend) if they are interested about receiving SMS
messages but that's not very convenient IMHO.

B) A server plugin. You'll be able to use the server API (and so be able
to know which buddies are connected, etc) but you'll be depend on a
server implementation and your app will have to run on the same box as
the server.

C) A XMPP component. That's generally how XMPP gateways work. People
will have to explicitly subscribe to your component.

If you choose A. then I strongly suggest you to use Telepathy (Gabble)
as we already have a nice API you could use instead of dealing with XMPP
directly.

Hope that help.

	G.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Gadget