[sugar] Textbook (was Re: [OLPC-Games] Physics -- Newtonian, mechanics.. for kids!)

Robert Myers rmyers7
Mon Jul 21 20:57:20 EDT 2008

Edward,

> I would like to start a physics textbook project combining Measure,
> Etoys, SciPy, and all of the low-cost instruments we can come up with.
> We would have to take account of existing curricula, but not be bound
> by them, and we would have to produce a teachers' guide as well. Who
> would be interested in contributing? We need
>
> * Developers such as Yoshiki
> * Developer/teache/visionaries, preferably Alan
> * Engineers and physicists
> * Teachers
> * Students
>
> I want to include elementary calculus and vectors, and pitch this
> project at ten-year-olds.

I'm approaching this through the back door. I've been working on a port
of an Asteroids game to the XO. I've been trying to pull out the
behavior to what I've been calling 'Physics game classes'. As a first
level test of the concept I implemented a demo that models 2D collisions
of 'cold' (slow) and 'hot' (fast) 'molecules'. The physics isn't
perfect, but the classes could provide a basis for more physics games
and demos.

I'd be glad to forward what I've got so far. I'm planning on presenting
this as part of ILXO's upcoming Game Jam.

Bob