[sugar] Programming environments on the XO

Martin Sevior martines
Thu Jul 17 22:30:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 18:54 -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Martin Sevior <martines at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 20:45 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> >> I'd vote that we not expend too much effort in supporting multiple
> >> development environments in Pippy at the moment--there are so many
> >> other high-priority things to be working on. Is there really a lot of
> >> demand for this from the field?
> >>
> >> -walter

> > Hi Folks,
> >        Just so you know. The only reason for #7447 is because we
> > haven't put the UI in to enable it. libabiword supports background
> > colors. If the Powers That Be decide that this is an important feature
> > for children it is very easy to implement it. Every feature of AbiWord
> > is present in libabiword, say the word and we'll implement it for Write.
> >
> > I'm not sure different colors for different users is such a good idea
> > though. The document will quickly become a mess.  Though if the kids
> > want to do this they can.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Martin
>
> It will be much more of a mess if you can't tell who wrote what in a
> collaborative editing session. Does Abiword provide change tracking,
> so that users can turn author coloring on and off at will?

AbiWord has change tracking but my experience with it is that it is more
trouble than it's worth. That said, there is a bug in AbiWord-2.6.4 so
that if you turn change tracking on all changes in a collaborative
document are marked with the same colour. I'd better fix this so that
different users get different colours during a collaboration session.

Is there some feedback from the field about how kids are finding
collaborative writing? Do they use it all?

Cheers

Martin