[sugar] Programming environments on the XO

Gary C Martin gary
Thu Jul 17 21:53:47 EDT 2008

On 18 Jul 2008, at 02:25, Martin Sevior wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
>> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

>>> Gobby does.
>>> take on.
>>>
>>> See also #7447.  Currently, Write doesn't support background
>>> colors at all.
>>>

> Hi Folks,
>        Just so you know. The only reason for #7447 is because we
> haven't put the UI in to enable it. libabiword supports background
> colors. If the Powers That Be decide that this is an important feature
> for children it is very easy to implement it. Every feature of AbiWord
> is present in libabiword, say the word and we'll implement it for
> Write.
>
> I'm not sure different colors for different users is such a good idea
> though. The document will quickly become a mess.  Though if the kids
> want to do this they can.

The codingmonkeys with their great SubEthaEdit also made very good use
out of background colour tints to indicate authorship. Works really
well:

	http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/images/sessionbig.png

As I remember, there is a button to toggle the background colours on
and off depending what you want to see (and I think mouse over pop-ups
in addition to show the authorship of a text block).

Now if I actually had other friends to work with, SubEthaEdit, would
have been my editor of choice ;-)

--Gary