[sugar] Display warnings in sugar

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Thu Jul 17 15:44:56 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:27 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> I hope our alert system will use the freedesktop.org standard:
>>  http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php
>> It is widely used in Gnome, and when I last reviewed it seems to be a
>> solid and capable spec.
>
> The interfaces in that spec look quite good, although perhaps would
> benefit from a simpler, alternative API that also abstracts the D-Bus
> stuff. Perhaps rainbow should do some rate limiting or permissions
> checking, not sure.

Sure, wrap the actual DBus calls with a simplied sugar/python method
if you like, but *please* let's implement a listener for that API so
that unmodified applications can interact sensibly with Sugar, and so
that our system tools & activities can interoperate with non-Sugar
window managers.

Similarly, we should really implement that standard freedesktop.org
startup notification spec, so we can get sensible notifications and
icons for 'ordinary' applications.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )