[sugar] Write needs your help (was Re: Programming environments on the XO)

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Thu Jul 17 15:37:48 EDT 2008

Lots of reasonable points made on this thread.

The two cents I'd like to throw in are:
 $0.01: we shouldn't feel like shipping unsugarized apps is a failure:
better an working app w/ crappy UI than no working app at all!
 $0.02: my suggestion to "replace" Browse wasn't to eliminate the
sugar-specific UI work, simply to suggest that we could more
profitably base it on Firefox than Gecko.  Similarly, minimizing the
differences between upstream Abiword and write is (IMO) a Good Thing.
We should keep our forks as small as possible, so that we can most
effectively use the work being done upstream.

For Firefox, that means (for example) that we can use upstreams
Awesome Bar instead of reimplementing our own url completion.  For
abiword, it means acknowledging that a lot of our initial Tubes port
was/is simply unnecessary now that we have a stream-based
collaboration mechanism, and we can/should be able to strip down Write
as a consequence.  It's possible that we can most fully utilize
Abiword/GTK's theme mechanism to make Sugar UI "upstreamable" as well.
 Again, the point is to reduce our diffs with upstream.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )