[sugar] EduBlog Image upload issue

Tarun Pondicherry tarunpondicherry
Thu Jul 17 12:44:34 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,
> Once we nail that (hope winning plan is set by Friday!)
I think Friday is a very optimistic date =/.  In any case, I'm wondering
how much of a change this can be.  Initially, we were going to avoid any
client side changes, so I am wondering what kind of changes to the xo
code is off limits.
> Option 2 - Tarun implements file upload that picks up write documents
> without the journal
Are you sure this would fix the issue?  If the the file chooser is only
broken in browse and not Write, then I think we are up against a bug
inside one of Browse's libraries that does the actual file upload.  If
the issue is the ObjectChooser class in sugar.graphics, then all file
choosing (Write, Browse anything) should have an issue, right?  In this
case it may be possible to circumvent that class and get a workaround,
once I figure out how things are structured.  I can't reproduce the
error on my 656, so more information on how/when/where it is breaking
would be very helpful.  Its very hard for me to guarantee feasibility on
this issue, since I have little experience with sugar and am not 100%
sure I understand the problem.

Also, we have an option 4.  FF3's editor will accept paste from xhtml
with embedded images, and assuming the rendering engine in Browse is
based on a fairly recent build of that, it should accept it too.  We can
relink the python code in Write to a new copy function (or add a new
copy for blog option) and ensure the clipboard has data that FF3's
editor will accept.  One hitch I am unsure of is if ctrl+c, and ctrl+v
actually do something more than use sugar's clipboard (ie use a native
linux/gnome clipboard as well that firefox is getting the data from).  I
am suspicious because I can't paste with ctrl+v when I use the copy
buttons in the toolbars.  I'm unsure if its an issue with the type of
data or something else.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can comment more on if
this either of these options is possible and may fix the issue or could
point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Tarun