[sugar] Sugar adds favorite activities to ring

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Jul 17 11:18:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I have one more concern.  It seems to me we might be better off
> checking against a hash of the file, instead of a timestamp. We don't want
> to continually merge new favorites with every OS update, but that's exactly
> what we'll do if we only check the timestamp on the favorites.default file,
> right?  By checking a hash, we ensure that someone (either us, by "shipping"
> a new favorites.default, or the country, via a customization key) intended a
> new merge to happen.

Well, what if the country removed an activity because it's no longer
shipped, do we still want to add the rest of the activities that the
user unfavorited? I'm not sure it's worth going to such details right
now, even more when laptops will be updated at most twice per year.
Also, at this point in the release, pushing patches is quite
expensive. But enter a ticket if you really want this in a future
release.

Tomeu