[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Mon Jul 14 14:17:28 EDT 2008

There was an extensive discussion on this topic a while back on IRC, which I
unfortunately don't have a record of.  There was also mention of this in the
mailing lists not too long ago, initiated by Morgan:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-May/005895.html.  Finally, I
brought this up at the end of a recent tech team meeting (1 or 2 weeks ago?)
as a topic that needed our attention in order to make the update/upgrade
system work (specifically, regarding the need for minor versions so that we
can make bugfixes to older versions of an activity (say, 4.x) while keeping
5.x for all versions that work with the next version of the OS).  I think
deciding how we version activities is a critical part of making our OS
releases work, and can assist in the problem of answering "Which activities
work with my release?".  Answering 4.x is nicer than [34 - 42], and MUCH
nicer than [36-38, 40, 42].
The "agreement" I speak of was really a lack of any voiced disagreement when
I mentioned this issue at the meeting.

- Eben