[sugar] offline moodle

David Van Assche dvanassche
Wed Jul 2 16:19:04 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to matter in practice :-/ GG has been
> open sourced at last (the initial license wasn't open enough), and
> it's starting to gain adoption. We can only ship a limited amount of
> sw on the XO and GG is gathering steam AFAICS. Unless AIR is based on
> GG, the slot will be probably taken by GG.
>
> And it's a good thing too. Google has shown that understands FOSS and
> is making some long term bets on it. Adobe... well...

Yeah, after looking a bit deeper into it, AIR isn't entirely open source,
though it uses open source parts which are interesting to us (sqlite for
example)

> > I guess I'm going to regret this, but I'll volunteer, if you've got time
> > guide me in areas I need. I've got lots of experience with Moodle
> including
> > teaching, and had a php based web development company for 6 years, so I
> > guess I should be able to do this... though I hate coding...
>
> You'll have to be pretty independent (my time is very stretched atm),
> but if you jump on the offline moodle forum and we can start a
> discussion. Having said that, with time and dedication, you can
> probably get the core of it going :-)

Let's wait to see what Bryan from OLE Nepal has in mind in terms of the
person he mentioned, and I can certainly help with that. I get the
underlying architecture needed... and now understand why you looked into
Gears for an offline app...

machinery with their plan. If you search in the general developer
> forum, we had a very long thread between Colin (the architect @ OU)
> and myself fleshing out the plan, and what the limits were.
> Unfortunately I don't have the link handy :-/

Yep read most of the thread and understand the difference... though from a
recent conversation with Colin, he seems much more inclined to do something
along the lines of Gears and Sqlite now... I'll forward the mail your way so
you can have a quick browse...

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche