[sugar] offline moodle

Sameer Verma sverma
Wed Jul 2 14:15:35 EDT 2008

Bryan Berry wrote:
> That's a great overview David,
>
> We need to get working quickly on developing course materials. Our two
> full-time educators, Kamana and Sunil, currently write out lesson plans
> and activity descriptions in MS Word. Not quite ideal :)
> I want to get them using Moodle asap. It will improve collaboration b/w
> the developers and educators. Also, we are currently storing
> supplementary materials on the fileserver, which is again a pretty lousy
> way to do it. Kamana and Sunil want to lay out a whole course, i.e.,
> class2 mathematics with descriptions of activities and exercises they
> want developed, and then help the developers build activities that meet
> their ideas. Eventually I want to put the courses on a public server (if
> I had the hosting budget) so volunteers can more easily create
> activities to meet the ideas dreamt up by Sunil and Kamana.

The last time I was at a moodlemoot (2007) there was some talk about
Common Cartridge spec
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMS_Global#Common_Cartridge) as the way to
go for materials that can be plugged into Moodle and other LMS
environments supporting the spec. i haven't kept up with it, but I am
sure Martin L or Jason Cole (copied) can comment on it.

Our campus came across this problem because as a campus running
completely on moodle, we ran into hot water with publishers who wouldn't
provide materials under "yet another spec". Our thinking at the time was
that publishers should write to a common spec such as Common Cartridge
and all others (Blackboard, etc) can follow it as well.

Should materials be developed using such a spec?

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University