[sugar] music program in sugar?

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Aug 25 13:04:00 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 18:48 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
> > desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
> > application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
> > introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
> > music and sound effects.
> >
> > perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
> > and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
> > sugar project
> There is another music effort going on:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam
>
> I'm not sure how the two compares and if there is space for cooperation.
> I'm ccing one of the authors.
>
> You seem to be using gtk/python already so write a sugar activity should
> be really easy:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial
> Something that worries me is that you are using OpenGL... it's probably
> going to be pretty slow on the laptop.

Right; any OpenGL will have to be done in software through Mesa, since
the OLPC doesn't have any hardware 3D accel.  Floating point also isn't
one of the Geode's strong areas, though it does OK.  Probably best to
stay away from GL for now.  We may/may not actually include mesa in the
final images, since without 3D mesa is of dubious use.

Dan