[SoaS] Urgent need to incorporate patch into sugar-toolkit-gtk3 for F32 SoaS, then request re-spin

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Fri May 1 11:19:30 EDT 2020

Peter,
> Peter Robinson <mailto:pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> May 1, 2020 at 3:42 AM
> Alex,
>
>> What is the process for requesting a re-spin of F32 SoaS? I've
>> discovered an unfortunate bug in the release F32 SoaS
>> sugar-toolkit-gtk3, and the necessary patch is here:
> The process is one of two methods 1) get in a time machine and go back
> to a time prior to release 2) we fix it for Fedora 33.
That's fine, we will definitely want to get it this patch pulled in for
F33/rawhide, and then in to F32 stable as an update. What I'm really
after is how _we_ (Sugar Labs) can re-build our own spin, which
incorporates this fix.
> This is why we have a beta release and nightly builds and release
> candidates on the way to GA, to test and get the bugs like this. We
> can push the fix as an update for those that install SoaS but we don't
> have the resources to completely respin the live images just because
> you decided to only test things post release.
Totally understandable, however your tone isn't particularly
constructive here. Just the facts, please. I'm not asking you to do this
work, just provide guidance, so _we_ can do this independently.
> I'm sorry, but we don't
> have the resource for that, and it's been that way and communicated as
> such since the original SoaS release.
>
> An update will fix it for those running on installed systems just fine.
>
>> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/commit/2018c930adae85c18b1c51b5f80836fcad6c392c.patch
>>
>> This commit can be viewed at
>> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/commit/2018c930adae85c18b1c51b5f80836fcad6c392c
> Please create a pull request against the package or coordinate with
> Ibiam to get a PR done.
Will do.
>> I've verified it fixes the problem of not being able to start
>> external/downloaded activities, by manually applying it from a running
>> LiveCD/ISO environment with patch, then killing jarabe.
>>
>> I'd also like to request that we add the 'patch' package to the default
>> list of installed packages, in the respin.
> I don't know what you mean by "default list of installed packages". We
> won't be re-spinning, the F-32 ship has sailed.
literally just add 'patch' as one of the packages installed (in F33)