[SoaS] Mirabelle page updated (There is something missing

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sat May 29 01:35:24 EDT 2010

Thanks for catching this, Tom - and for bringing it up, Tabitha!

Short snip from IRC discussion on this between myself and Tom just now:

03:07 < mchua> satellit__: On the other hand, you pointed tabs to a
script that worked for her, which is awesome (and helpful, thank you!)
03:08 < mchua> which is imo the right thing to do - but is also an
unsupported install path
03:08 < mchua> so as long as that's understood and she's ok with it,
that's great

So, regarding Tom's suggested temporary fix - livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
should work (I've tried it before myself) but isn't a supported install
method at the moment, just so you know. Mostly because of limited
resource to maintain things - it seems to work now, but we may not have
the manpower to diagnose/fix it if it breaks.[0]

It's tough - I've been on Tabitha/Tom's side of the equation a lot, and
you just want something that "just works." From a support engineer
perspective, though, I'm thinking "oh wow, how do we make this scale?"
and so I'd like to see if we can make our existing supported install
methods easier to find and use. If Tabitha, one of our long-time
dedicated testers, runs into this issue, who knows how many other people
will?

Tabitha, if you have a moment to help us chase this down - I'm trying to
figure out what happened here, and how to fix it. As best as I can tell,
you started on http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Mirabelle
and clicked the "download" button, which gets you to
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads
03:23 < mchua> and on there, we say "For a guided walkthrough of the
process of creating and using your stick, including on non-Fedora
systems or using virtualization, read the Creation Kit."

The Creation Kit has instructions for Linux distributions,
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/docs/creation-kit/sect-Creation_Kit-Preparation-Linux_Instructions-Other.html
- do these work for you? (Are those instructions broken? Not findable?)

--Mel

[0] To elaborate - It makes sense to offer as few options as possible,
since we can't maintain lots of different install paths - every release,
we can make sure liveusb-creator works and unetbootin work, but we can't
necessarly test 15 scripts and 4 different graphical iso-to-usb programs
on 6 operating systems. I believe liveusb-creator was chosen because
it's a graphical option and a lot of our intended userbase (teachers,
etc) are intimidated by command line options like livecd-iso-to-disk.sh.