[SystemShock] Fwd: Re: Amiga OS

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jun 22 17:47:08 CEST 2009

Che dite, contattiamo la Hyperion?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Amiga OS
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 02:14:37 -0400
From: Randell Jesup <rjesup at wgate.com>
To: Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>

Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> writes:
>On 06/21/09 05:28, Randell Jesup wrote:
>> Pretty much; the window to be competitive has LONG passed for AmigaOS.
>
>I wonder what the legal status of the original AmigaOS code is?
>
>Next year will be the 25th anniversary since the introduction of the
>Amiga 1000.  If you're still in contact with the rest of the Amiga
>wizards, perhaps you guys could reconstruct the complete codebase
>of an historical Kickstart and Workbench and release it as GPL or BSD.

People have the codebase, not that it really matters.  Various people
dumped the RCS repository before the end (though not the internal
newsgroups or servers that I know of).  The copyright is owned by
someone-or-other (it's bounced around so many times I have no idea who
now).

>Hopefully, the current copyright holders (if any) can be convinced to
>let this happen.

Could be.  But someone always seems to want to make an update, make
money off it, whatever.  Eventually, probably, but it will be even more
irrelevant then.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate (developers of the Ojo videophone), ex-Amiga OS team
rjesup at wgate.com
"The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out of the weapons
provided for defence against real, pretended, or imaginary dangers from abroad."
		- James Madison, 4th US president (1751-1836)