[Systems] Sunjammer SMTP server went down for a day

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Mar 1 21:28:08 EST 2021

On 02/03/2021 00.28, Srevin Saju wrote:
> I am not sure why it happened, but I realized that it wasn't receiving
> any emails since 28 February 2021.
>
> Connecting to 209.51.188.53
> 3/1/2021 11:11:35 AM Connection attempt #1 - Unable to connect after 15
> seconds. [15.02 sec]
>
> LookupServer 15151ms
>
> So, I just did `sudo systemctl restart postfix`

Thanks for taking care of it.

If it happens again, do a 'systemctl status postfix', it will print the
last few lines of the journal, telling us what happened.

> which seems to have fixed the problem.
>
> Sunjammer was having some disk and load problems, which likely killed
> the postfix server.

This isn't a possible: slow I/O and load doesn't kill processes. The OOM
killer would rather kill many other processes before touching a small
system daemon like postfix. Also, there would be a clear message in the
journal.

Sometimes distro updates fail to restart dependent services.

\X/  https://codewiz.org/