[Systems] Sunjammer just restarted

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Feb 22 05:58:40 EST 2021

On 22/02/2021 03.28, James Cameron wrote:
> I agree.
>
> Please proceed with removing inactive users.
>
> A possibly incomplete list of things to remember;
>
> 1.  some accounts are LDAP and some may be local,

All accounts created with system-useradd are in ldap. I see two human
accounts which are in passwd:

   dcrossland
   asharma

These should either be deleted, or moved to ldap...

...or we could do the opposite and migrate all accounts to passwd to get
rid of ldap for good. I'd be in favor if someone volunteers to write a
migration script and test it carefully.

For the time being, a big +1 from me on cleaning up inactive accounts
with system-userdel, as soon as is convenient to Srevin. In case anyone
complains, it's easy to revert.

> 2.  keep the home directories, (archiving them is separate effort).

system-userdel moves the homes to /home/_disabled/

> Some users in the last year haven't been active contributors either,
> but we can look at that later.

I don't mind keeping around shell accounts of old friends, as long as
they're well behaved.

I've been hosting my personal website and email on sunjammer, which
keeps me motivated to do regular maintenance :-)

\X/  https://codewiz.org/