[Systems] Disk array issues on cloud9.fsf.org affecting sunjammer

Ruben ruben at fsf.org
Tue May 19 21:52:12 EDT 2020

As a follow-up, I was able to migrate the VM into a new host (the
gnuhope server cluster, there are 3 hosts with live migration, currently
running at kvmhost3.fsf.org). Some notes on the migration:

* I was able to copy over all of the data, with the exception of
/root/develgrep_err.txt which was partially unreadable due to IO errors.

* The new host runs KVM instead of XEN. No grub configuration is
necessary, KVM will boot whatever kernel and initrd are linked as
/vmlinuz and /initrd.img

* The new storage volumes are /dev/sda for / and /dev/sdb for /srv

* I expanded the filesystems a bit, they are at 75% usage. Please

* The storage is self-encrypted using Luks. This should work
transparently to you, and the only requirement is to keep cryptsetup and
dmsetup installed. You can ask me to expand on this if you are curious.

* I enabled quotas but I did no further work to recreate the original
limits. You can find the quota information on /root/repquota
If you need more information collected from the original filesystem, it
will be accessible to FSF sysadmins for some time, but we do plan to
decomision the hardware soon, so please verify it.

* The same applies to ACLs, I made no attempts to migrate them.

* The storage is backed by 3x replicated Ceph, with 20gbps links. It
should be noticeable faster than the previous hardware. If the machine
is used for IO intensive operations like package building or CI, we
should consider setting a IO limit on the VM, to not cause trouble on
other services.

* I removed two filesystem "optimization" flags that were preventing the
machine from booting: data=writeback,barrier=0
If those flags are actually needed, please contact me to look into it,
it may not reboot on its own if that is changed. If those flags were
applied to improve build performance I recommend using libeatmydata for
build processes, instead of global filesystem flags.

* We do not have any backup set on this system at the FSF.

* There was no firewall running in the previous incarnation of the
server, it is advisable that you review this and install a firewall if
needed. It is strongly recommended to configure sshd to allow key
authentication only, and reject password entry attempts.

* We do not do performance or alert monitoring for this server.

Please review the previous points, and any other issue that may be
caused by the migration, and if you find anything please send one email
per distinct problem to sysadmin at gnu.org to create individual tickets
for FSF sysadmins.

Also note that we moved the VM to the current host cluster because it
was the quickest available option and the disks were faulty. We have not
discussed yet whether that host is appropriate for the long run, and we
may decide to migrate it to a different setup at a later date. If that
is the case we will coordinate that with SugarLabs.

Cheers,
--
Ruben Rodriguez | Chief Technology Officer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 05EF 1D2F FE61 747D 1FC8  27C3 7FAC 7D26 472F 4409