[Systems] Sugar Labs Oversight Board Election Candidates 2017-2019 - Stage III Closed

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:37:59 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Two items.
>
> 1.  members@ alias
>
> It is wrong to leave unchanged the sunjammer:/etc/aliases members@
> entry, thus listing only the old committee.
>
> Please update the alias to list the new committee.
>
> $ ssh sunjammer grep members /etc/aliases
> elections:      members
> members:        samsongoddy, laura at somosazucar.org, ignacio

thanks for pointing that out.

> 2.  candidates' submissions
>
> Adam Holt's submission was truncated, without public consultation with
> Adam and without asking Adam to edit.

I had no idea about this, Laura what happened? did you contact the
committee before enforcing this action?

> This misrepresents Adam.  This disadvantages Adam.  This is unfair.
>
> I ask the Membership and Elections Committee to decide jointly what
> action to take.  A joint decision is where all members of a committee
> indicate their agreement.  Silence is not agreement.

First, like i said last time, most actions taken by the election committee
was done by Laura "not" the committee.

Laura, i will appreciate in future that you should share with t*he
committee* before taking any actions, if not i will have to declare you
unfit and therefore should make any move that require "we the
membership/election committee" without actually contacting the committee
first. I have enough rights as you are and have been in this committee for
almost 3 years and i always let the committee agree on my thought before
sharing them.

> In my opinion, Adam should be given permission to edit his submission
> even though the deadline has past.  Or, the committee may decide to
> allow Adam to exceed the limit.
>
> The committee should read the discussion page, where Walter determines
> how the limit began.
>
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Oversight_Board/2017-2019-candidates

The limit of 1500 was laura's idea and *not * the committee, so as one of
the committee member, i would say every candidate have right to do
whatsoever he or she wants to do with their limit. It wasn't a factor last
election so i don't see why we should have that as a case. So Adam, Walter
you have the right to exceed the limit and express yourself. The 1500
character was laura's idea not the committee.

Thank You