[Systems] Services provided by Sugarlabs - Inventory - Maintainers

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:25:36 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

Currently we have two physical nodes - Justice and Freedom - which belongs
to SugarLabs and one VM (Sunjammer) provided by the FSF. These nodes are
running Ubuntu 16.04. Last upgrade was done by Bernie Innocenti and by me.

The main purpose of this email is to update our list of machine/services
maintainers. We need to have a responsible for every service and update our
wiki page according to the provided information. The Maintainer must be
responsible for keeping service up, the OS updated and apply all the
security patches. I can find that many of our services are just broken or
forgotten. We need to some do cleaning/pruning.

Below are listed all the current machines/services we're hosting. Please,
if you're responsible for the machine/service maintenance, identify
yourself. If no one if responsible for the machine/service, we need to
define what to do with those machines, whether to find a new maintainer or
to decommission the machine/service.

*Justice*:

1. *OS*: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS,
2. *Maintainers*: Bernie Innocenti, Sebastian Silva and Samuel Cantero.
3. *Services* (VMs running inside this node):

   - *amnesia:*
      - OS: Fedora 18. This OS has reached End of Life.
      - Maintainer: X.
      - Services provided:
         - Apparently it's used by Paraguay Educa. It's running an HTTP
         server, MySQL, etc.
         - Are we still using this?
      - *aslo:*
      - OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5. EOL: April 2019.
      - Maintainer: Samuel Cantero.
      - Codebase maintainer: X. it would be nice to have someone behind it.
      Aleksey have been helping so far.
      - Services provided:
         - activities.sugarlabs.org
      - *zatoichi:*
      - OS: Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS. EOL: April 2017.
      - Maintainer: X.
      - Services provided:
         - *.paraguayeduca.org
         - Can we keep all the services for PyEduca in one machine? Do we
         really need amnesia and zatoichi?
         - *lightwave:*
      - OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS.
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti / Samuel Cantero.
      - Services provided:
         - Primary DNS server.
      - *mothership:*
      - I can't get into the VM. I don't have information about maintainer
      nor the OS/services running inside.
   - *pootle:*
      - OS: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS.
      - Maintainer: Chris Leonard.
      - Services provided:
         - translate.sugarlabs.org
      - *library*:
      - OS: Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS.
      - Maintainer: X.
      - Services provided:
         - library.sugarlabs.org (pathagar).
      - *Jita*:
      - OS: Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
      - Maintainer: X.
      - Services provided:
         - cgit.sugarlabs.org. I guess we can decommission this.
         - chat.sugarlabs.org.
         - fedora.sugarlabs.org (service down, no one reported so no one is
         using it).
         - git.sugarlabs.org (gitorious). Someone should move all repos
         inside git.sl.o to GitHub.
         - meeting.sugarlabs.org,
         - network.sugarlabs.org,
         - node.sugarlabs.org (are we using this?)
         - school-network.org

*Freedom*

1. *OS*: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS,
2. *Maintainers*: Bernie Innocenti, Sebastian Silva, Sam Parkinson and
Samuel Cantero.
3. *Services:*

   - Main backup server.
   - We have a bunch of VMs not used by SL. These are: ole, kuckuck,
   munin, owncloud, pirate, hammock, chat, hanginggarden, beacon. AFAIK, these
   VM belongs to Stephan Unterhauser (Dogi). I don't know about the terms
   defined between SugarLabs and Stephan. Hence, I must ask: *Is Sugarlabs
   going to continue hosting these VMs?*
   - We also have the following containers:
      - org.sugarlabs.www-rebuilder.
         - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - used for update the SL www site after a new commit into
            GitHub repo (through Webhooks).
            - related: www.sugarlabs.org
         - org.sugarlabs.use-socialhelp:
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - socialhelp.sugarlabs.org?
            - org.sugarlabs.socialhelp_sso
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - socialhelp.sugarlabs.org?
            - local_discourse/app
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - socialhelp.sugarlabs.org?
         - org.turtleartday.www-rebuilder
      - Maintainer: Samuel Cantero.
         - Services:
         - used for update the turtleartday.org site after a new commit
            into GitHub repo (through Webhooks).
            - related: turtleartday.org
         - org.sugarlabs.developer-rebuilder
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - related: developer.sugarlabs.org
         - org.sugarlabs.bundlebin
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson.
         - Services:
            - bundlebin.sugarlabs.org
         - org.sugarlabs.bugs
      - Maintainer: Sam Parkinson / Samuel Cantero.
         - Services:
            - bugs.sugarlabs.org

*Sunjammer*

1. *OS*: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS,
2. *Maintainers*: Bernie Innocenti, Sebastian Silva, and Samuel Cantero.
3. *Services:*

   - Community shell server, email, mailing list, LDAP server, Secondary
   DNS server, FTP.
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti / Samuel Cantero.
   - Web hosting - the maintainers should be responsible for keeping the
   sites up and protected.
      - blog.somosazucar.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.
      - camp.laboratoriosazucar.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.
      - codewiz.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti,
      - contest.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X.
      - download.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X.
      - karma.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - ldap.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti.
      - lists.codewiz.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti.
      - mirrors.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X.
      - munin.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti / Samuel Cantero.
      - olenepal.org
      - Maintainer: Bikram Dhoju
      - pe.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.
         - people.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: every person with shell access is responsible for the
         content provided in their public html.
      - planet.laptop.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - planet.py.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - repo.roscidus.com
      - Maintainer: X
      - static.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - stats.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti.
      - sugarcamp-devel.somosazucar.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.
      - sugarcamp.somosazucar.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.
      - turtle.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - walterbender.org
      - Maintainer: Samuel Cantero.
      - wiki.sugarlabs.org
      - Maintainer: Bernie Innocenti / Samuel Cantero.
      - wiki.squeakland.org
      - Maintainer: X
      - www.laboratoriosazucar.org
      - Maintainer: Sebastian Silva.

Below other services running that I don't know if people are using it. If
no one is using, I'll stop them.

   - bitlbee
   - ejabberd
   - oidentd
   - bid
   - xinetd: ftp. are we still using git, ntalk, talk? I can see that
   godiard, Bernie and mstone have repos.

Please, if you find a missing service, add to the list.

Best regards,

Samuel Cantero.