[Systems] Disk space on freedom

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jul 16 17:00:24 EDT 2016

On 16/07/16 15:51, Stefan Unterhauser wrote:
> Hi Bernie,
>
> thank you for upgrading freedom - it went down really smooth.
>
> Anyhow still remember I am any time (24/7) available on phone 617 767 2668
> and would like to kept in the loop before the fact and not after ;)

Let's stick to written communication for sysadmin stuff, so everyone in
SL stays informed.

> for freeing up the space of the VMs of which most of them just got
> turned of not a month ago (~14days) I already reached out to most of the
> parties involved when I turned them off
> they know that if they want to save files and/or data they should tell
> me by 1th of August so please just wait for my slow already started
> process to finish that would be awesome

We need to restore ASLO as soon as possible, we can't wait that long.

> Generally freedom on diskspace is a happy system with plenty of free
> space on the vm and backup partition

The extra headroom in /backup is needed to make sure backups never run
out of space and fail.

We need to shrink some LVs to make room for ASLO and all the activities.
Freeing up 30-40GB might suffice, but it would be best to have extra
free space for future growth.

So let's move (or delete) all those inactive qcow images somewhere else.
Long-term you should arrange to move everything to another server owned
by OLE, so SL won't have to squeeze in the remaining space. This
temporary situation has been going on for years now.

> freedom:~#df -h
> Filesystem                                     Size  Used Avail Use%
> Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/freedom--lvm-backup                985G  791G  146G  85%
> /backup
> /dev/mapper/freedom--lvm-freedom--virtual      493G  353G  115G  76%
> /var/lib/libvirt/images
>
> so also I hope there is no need to rush

Actually, please *do* rush and free up all the space you can now. We
don't want to host production VMs as qcow files inside existing
partitions, because it's slow and fragile.

> thanks Sebastian for standing up and claiming some of these VMs ;)
>
> right now unaccounted VMs are
>
> freedom:~#virsh list --all
> Id    Name                           State
> -     buildslave-i386                shut off
> -     buildslave-x86_64              shut off

I moved those to /backup.

> I also wonder who is in charge of
>
> freedom:~#virsh list --all
> Id    Name                           State
> 8     beacon                         running

I'm not sure either. Looks like parts of somosazucar.org? Icarito, do
you use this VM?

 \X/  http://codewiz.org