[Systems] Sunjammer Swapping

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:06:38 EST 2016

It was my mistake to only look at the static result from the free -m
command. However, according to munin, sometimes we have some pages swapped
out to disk (I guess this is related to the swap-so column in the vmstat
result). Of course, it is almost insignificant the size swapped out.

Anyway, just for curiosity and learning purposes: is it expected and
desirable to have even few pages swapped out to disk? I always thought that
the swap partition or swap file was created to avoid an OOM error in case
of physical memory saturation. I have seen even some systems without a swap
partition. One example: freedom.

Thanks and Happy New Year for all! :)

Best regards,

Samuel C.