[Systems] Fwd: [Systems-logs] Cron <www-data at sunjammer> [ -x /usr/share/awstats/tools/update.sh ] && /usr/share/awstats/tools/update.sh

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:20:45 EST 2016

Hi all,

I have received a bunch of this email. The user www-data is executing the
awstats update script and it doesn't have permission to read the
/var/log/apache2/codewiz.org/codewiz.org-access.log apache log file. The
same for /var/log/apache2/access.log. The permission is set to:

-rw-r----- 1 root adm       9,2M Feb 24 14:05 codewiz.org-access.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 9,8M Feb 24 14:13 access.log

However, all the old log files have the following permission:

-rw-rw---- 1 root www-data  429K Jan  4  2015
codewiz.org-access.log-20150104.xz

I guess logrotate (/etc/logrotate.d/apache2) is in charge of setting this
permission. So I checked it and I found the following directive: create 640
root adm. I can find the same pattern in the other log files. I guess we
should change it to: create 660 root www-data.

If you are ok with me, I will proceed to change it and fix manually the
permissions for the current log files.

Best regards,

Samuel C.