[Systems] Data Request / Privacy Policy query Was Fwd: [IAEP] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 09:59:07 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> How is
> > my position different to yours? We are both members.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm just not sure is you've got sysadmi nprivs, whixh is
> basically the question.  I've been granted sysadmin level access on
> Pootle and there fore owe sysadmin levels of care in distributing what
> our Privacy policy suggests I should only share with another sysadmin
> (confidential use for legitimate purposes by a non-sysadmin may well
> be permissible by consensus interpretation of policy and it's
> implementation.
>
> I'm not claiming any more privilege than you, only asking advice rfom
> peer sysadmin level actors for a call on the data use request embodied
> by the spreadsheet I created.  I'm happy to share if I am told I am
> allowed to, it's quite simple.
>

> > I wonder that perhaps you are saying your contractual relationship with
> > Conservancy gives you more access to Sugar Labs data than other members
> who
> > ask for such access; but then, your access predates your contract.
>
> No, not at all, see above.
>

> >> (being
> >> identifying and e-mail, semi sensitive log data from the former Pootle
> >> server, etc..  User log dumps command reasonable security protocols
> >> and respect of existing privacy policy, which I think is this.
> >

> > Ideally I would like name, email, account creation date, and date of last
> > activity; the latter 2 data will help segment the list to draft slightly
> > different texts that may be more appropriate.
>

> id
> username
> first_name
> email
> is_staff
> is_active
> is_superuser
> last_login
> date_joined
> active
>
> plus a few columns I'm using to track my "re-recruiting" progress in
> reaching out ot get people logged onto ot our Pootle instance and
> contributing again.
>

> >> http://sfconservancy.org/privacy-policy/
> >>
> >> or am I mistaken?
> >

> > I'm curious why you mention the Conservancy's Privacy Policy; is that
> > applied to all member projects?
> >

> >> Anyone with sysadmin privs can unpack the server
> >> files like I did, so you guys tell me the right thing to do.
> >

> > :)
> >

> >> Do we
> >> have a common secure transmission schema, should I just create a
> >> folder on the server and drop a spreadsheet in with sftp?
> >

> > Sure; I don't have ssh access to translate.sugarlabs.org but I can
> access
> > dcrossland at sunjammer.sugarlabs.org so you could drop it in there.
>

> I'll happily use sunjammer as a secure method, I'm just doing a
> courtesy policy check as anyone who takes this "other people's
> privacy" stuff seriously would be expected to do.

Thanks Chris. I appreciate this concern. Have you ever had a situation like
this previously?

IMHO, getting root/sysadmin privilege at SL at some moment is a matter of
trust and proven work. This gained trust can be used to take decisions in
cases like this. I consider wise the steps taken by Chris.

Dave is the person who has worked really hard in the last months to boost
the SL community. If I have the authority to approve this access, I'll
definitively do it.

Best regards,

Samuel C.