[Systems] Mailmain configuration

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Apr 12 12:24:21 EDT 2016

Hi

On 12 April 2016 at 09:01, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
wrote:

> I admin sugar-sur. Not too active but not dead either. Just a couple of
> days ago I pinged and got a couple of responses (one of them from Ministry
> of Education staff). It's also our only semi-active spanish list, has a
> long history and I was hoping to bring it back to life sometime.

I kindly assert that it is harmful to the project to have all these "not
too active but not dead either" lists :)

Setting a list 'read only' is done simply by turning on strict moderation,
and not tending to the moderation queue. If you want to tend to the
moderation queue, so that anyone who does email such a list without seeing
that we encourage everyone to post in the same consolidated small set of
lists, will not see their message lost in the void, that would be great :)

I think asking remaining subscribers to newly subscribe to a new
sugar-discuss list is a good idea, as it will give us a real sense of the
size of the community. I think that it is also good to have the list being
multilingual - in the days of translate tools integrated into email clients
or readily available, it can be great :)

> I also took overt volunteer administratorship of IAEP (along with Laura
> and Martin Dengler) and sugar-devel (along Laura and James Cameron), when
> others dropped the ball silently (along with Election and Membership
> committee).
>
> In the past some thought was given to mix mailing-list with a forum front
> end (e.g. upgrading to Mailman3?).
> Frankly I don't think mailing lists are a barrier to entry; they haven't
> been in the past.

I think email mailing lists are far superior to any kind of web fora - I
would also like to turn off socialhelp since it seems also 'not too active
but not dead either' and harmfully diluting the community space, although I
think it has been integrated into sugar activities somehow, so sunsetting
it needs a bit more care.

--
Cheers
Dave